I’ve always liked TV but within the last few years I have realized that I don’t just like TV, I may be addicted to it.
So why do I love TV shows? Well, for one, they give the appearance of never-ending. I love reading and I love books but I know that once I get to that last page, that story is over and I can only imagine what happens after for only so long. And if it’s a series, well, those end too. However, good TV shows usually go past 5 seasons and some seasons are 20 episodes long! So although they do end, they provide the sense of never-ending and allow me to continue along with my favorite characters on a great adventure.
I also love TV because it gives me adventure and action on-screen and I’m right there in the moment with my favorite characters. I can see the people in the story and I relate to them on a different level than I do while reading a book or watching a movie. Lastly, TV has been a companion. I’m single and sometimes I have the house all to myself (especially when I lived alone) and television has allowed me to fill the house with noise so that I don’t freak out at every little sound.
I know watching TV is super bad for you. It hurts my eyes after a while and it can make me lazy but I like to counter with the argument that I still find time to workout and I usually do my work at the same time I’m watching TV so I’m productive and enjoying myself. Granted this counter argument is solely for my benefit, to make me feel less like a slob and more like a TV episode connoisseur.
So with this post I’ve made a list of all the reasons why I think I’m addicted to TV. I hope you enjoy and pray that you don’t discover that you, too, are addicted to TV as much as I am!
1. I have a very long list of shows that I watch faithfully year round.
- Game of Thrones
- The Lizzie Borden Chronicles
- Pretty Little Liars
- Orange is the New Black
- The Following
- New Girl
- The Mindy Project
- The Big Bang Theory
- The Walking Dead
- House of Cards
- True Detective
- Jane, The Virgin
- The Leftovers
- Modern Family
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Fresh Off The Boat
I’m sure those aren’t all of them and I can’t remember a few….Here are a few I recently had to give up because I don’t have enough time to watch them:
- Silicon Valley
2. I can’t remember most people’s birthday but I can accurately recall what day, time, and channel my favorite TV shows come on.
In my defense, I remember all of my immediate family’s birthdays and a few friends and family members, and I do know when everyone’s birthday month is…sometimes…
3. I’m always checking to see when a new season airs for my favorite shows.
IMDB, let a sister know.
4. I don’t have cable but I find ways to watch the next episode of my favorite show every week no matter what.
5. I binge watch a new season as soon as it comes out on Netflix.
And then I look like a zombie by the end…
6. Whether I’m cleaning house, cooking, or even taking a shower, I always have a TV show playing.
7. I use TV references in my everyday conversation.
“Say my name.”–Breaking Bad
“Winter is coming…eventually.” –Game of Thrones
8. I live tweet, Snapchat, Facebook, or Instagram the TV screen when something happens on my favorite show.
Because everyone should care…
9. I try to convince my friends to watch my favorite shows so that I can have someone to gossip with about the show.
10. I yell at the characters on-screen and cry when one of them dies.
Oh, my God–can the writers just kick Fitz off the show already! Olivia, in what world has Fitz ever done you any good?! Drop him already!!! #Scandal
11. Even if the series begins to suck I will not stop watching because I just wasted 6 seasons of my life watching this show and goddamn it if I’m going to quit on the seventh one!